Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Best Thing I Ever Ate...

A while back I found what I believed to be the Holy Grail of Yum.  Only it turned out to be a mirage.  Of all the things in the world that I have ever eaten, I never thought the thing that would stick with me forever would be a chocolate donut.

However, this dear friends, was no ordinary donut, no, no, no!  This was the King of donuts, it was an epiphany.  This donut outshone all others I have ever tasted.  This donut was special. 

Let me tell you the story about Kitty and the Chocolate Donut.

About a year ago I saw this fellow at the Farmers Market.  He had an unassuming little cart, much like a tiny trailer, all painted yellow and fitted out with all of his necessary donut making equipment.  There he was, with his cart, at the entrance of the Market. 

I had seen him once before, and I had tasted donuts at the Markets before but not his.  I scoffed at the price, not wanting to part with $4.50 for a 'crummy donut'.  Though for some reason the next time I saw him, I felt an inexplicable urge to go see what was so special about his donut.   

It is basically a small round donut, deep fried and rolled in cinnamon and sugar.  This is where the donut stops from ordinary to extraordinary.  The secret weapon which is what makes it so incredibly delicious is that it is filled with melted Belgian chocolate. 

Oh...
Sweet...
Mamma...



The next thing you notice is the amazing chewy texture of the donut itself.  Coupled with that oozey chocolately goodness, it is just a blissful experience.

The smell alone is enough to make you want to just float away to Willy Wonka Land. "Come with me, and you'll be in a World of pure imagination"... Do dee doo... Do dee doo...  Ok, back to Earth!

The photo is of me (in my car away from prying eyes) just before I so delicately and politely scoff this sweet treat into my cake hole.  I would post more pictures, but they really just me looking like I am going to attack anyone who tries to come near me.  By the end of my territorial feasting I kind of have an 'Augustus Gloop-ness' about me.



As much as I don't want it to, this story has a sad ending.  I have never seen Mr Little Yellow Belgian Chocolate Donut Cart Man again.  It kind of makes me feel like he never really existed.  I have been looking for him several times, only to see an empty space at the Market where he and his little cart were that one, glorious day.  At least I have pictures to prove that it wasn't a dream.

The moral of the story is that you should never judge a book by its cover and when you find the Holy Grail of Donuts, or anything else that is just too delicious for words, be sure to go back and get the guys number so you can stalk him.

(I mean visit!  At the Market I mean!  Bwhahahaha).

Until next time...

Kitty xx

1 comment:

  1. After Lemon or Lime, Chocolate comes a half step behind. That donut sounds Heaven-Sent. Maybe the Angels were missing those, so they recalled the Angel-With-The-Yellow-Donut-Cart?

    ReplyDelete