Monday, May 24, 2010

Here Today, Scone Tomorrow...

I have never really been a great pastry cook.  It is only recently that I have really ventured into the realm of cooking sweet things.  I was never really good at baking, my cakes were more like door stops and Frisbee's rather than light, fluffy and spongey.  I still to this day have a sense of dread when it comes to baking.  I always give my cake batter a blessing and say a little 'kitchen prayer' when sliding it into the oven.  With practice and persistence I find I have had more success these days.  I never thought baking would become a much loved past time for me.

Except when it comes to baking scones - these cheeky little things are my nemesis.  There is something really nostalgic about lovely big, piping hot scones, straight from the oven, wrapped in a tea towel, awaiting a generous slathering of strawberry jam and a dollop of fresh whipped cream. 

As far as scones go though, the only thing I seem to get right is the jam and cream.  I guess I just don't have the deft touch of a homespun Granny when it comes to these things!

Until I get the secret (which I will share, don't worry) I will keep trying and at least if I don't eat them, the birds have something to peck at!

Until next time...

Kitty xx

No comments:

Post a Comment