Friday, December 24, 2010

Oh Hark! Cheesey Goodness!


I love to eat.  Possibly as much, if not more than I love to cook.  I discovered my Holy Grail of cheesey goodness the other night at a Christmas Party - Baked Cheese Cobb.  Wow!  This dish blew my mind.  I have never been so happy to be invited to a party!  I could not stop myself eating it!

So let me give you the background.  I was at a friends Christmas Street Party and my their  Nanna made a baked cheese cobb.  I watched in awe as it was presented (in my mind ceremoniously) and placed upon the table, all bubbly and golden with a lovely cheesey crust that was just begging to be broken into with a crisp crouton.  I think the last time I saw a cobb dip was when I was flicking through Mum's old dog-eared copy of the Women's Weekly cookbook, which I am sure was from the 70's. 


Upon tasting, I had no words, I could not speak!  It was ooey, it was gooey, it was stringy and reminiscent of fondue.  Wow!  (again!)  I wanted to abscond with it immediately to a quiet corner with a spoon and gorge myself stupid on it! 

At first I was very encouraging of those who would dip crackers into the cobb and how they shared my sentiment of how wonderful it tasted.  However as it quickly began to disappear I would shoot flinty glares at whoever approached...  I wanted it all to myself - and I had to get the recipe.

Nanna Galwey was very delighted to share the recipe - something I thought was going to be a close guarded family secret, handed down through the generations, but a friend told me she saw it featured in a recent women's magazine, which doesn't sound as nostalgic, but you can't have everything!

I am more than happy to share this wonderful recipe with you here, just as Nanna Galwey was happy to share it with me.  Bear in mind it was given to me in cook's shorthand, but it is so simple it virtually makes itself.  I made it for the first time myself yesterday for our own Christmas Street Party, and I am sure if you make it you will get the kudos I enjoyed as well.

Nanna Galwey's Cheese Cobb

2 cups of grated tasty cheese
1 cup sour cream
1 pk Philadelphia cream cheese, at room temperature
3-4 rashers bacon, chopped
1 can creamed corn
1 cobb loaf, centre hollowed out (reserve for croutons)

Be sure to select a nice crusty loaf that will hold up to being filled. 


Cut around the top of the cobb and scoop out the middle of the loaf, being careful not to cut away at the sides.  Reserve this bread to make croutons.  Take all remaining ingredients and mix together.

  


Spoon mixture into your hollowed out cobb.  (Inquisitive dog optional).  Bake in oven at 170c (160c fan forced) for 45 mins.  Serve with crackers or croutons.

To make the croutons, simply slice reserved bread into bite sized chunks or slices.  Arrange on an oven tray, spray lightly with oil and place in oven to dry out for approx 15-20 mins.  You can easily do this while you have your cobb cooking, just be sure not to forget about them!  (You can toss the bread in olive oil, garlic and herbs if you wish, but it is nice to let the cobb do the talking).

I am sure with a little experimentation the possibilities are endless with this recipe.  I am sure it would be nice with a mixture of Gruyere and Emmenthal, some spinach and artichoke, even used as a sauce over cauliflower and broccoli... I am feeling a kitsch 70's fondue vibe here...

Until next time...

Kitty xx

1 comment:

  1. "Shoot flinty glares..."

    "Inquisitive dog optional..."

    I adore you...Merry Christmas.

    -- M

    ReplyDelete