Friday, September 10, 2010

Love a Lemon Pound Cake


I miss my local Starbucks.  I miss the custom frappes I used to order and I miss the cakes.  Whenever I am in New York, I have to have cake from Starbucks.  I am quite partial to the gingerbread, but my stand out favourite would have to be the Lemon Pound Cake. 

What to do when you are not in New York and have a yearning for Lemon Pound Cake?  Do what I do - find a recipe!

I had to do a little trawling of the Internet to find a recipe for Lemon Pound Cake that used lemon juice, rather than lemon essence (Yuk!).  I am pretty sure I have found a recipe that is so bang on, that whenever I taste it I am taken back to my Starbucks on Lexington and 78th...


My friend Louie invited me out for lunch today so I baked this cake to take out for afternoon tea.  When I made the glaze, I made a slight variation by scraping half a vanilla pod into the mix to cut the sharpness of the lemon and to add a yummy vanilla seed speckle to the top of the cake.   


I always love eating this cake the next day as I feel that it tends to get even more moist over time. 

Lucky for me, Lou gave me some cake to take home so I will enjoy an extra slice tomorrow with my morning tea.

By the way, this recipe makes delicious lemon cupcakes that are sublime with lemon and cream cheese frosting... 


Until next time...

Kitty xx

No comments:

Post a Comment